Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fueling up for long runs!


   

    Since I started this blog, I've been posting healthy recipes I've made but have said nothing about fitness! A big part of the equation of being healthy has to do with regular physical activity.  In order to stick with an exercise routine, it has to be something you like to do.  While running may not be for everyone, it's something I have come to love; I cherish the time I spend on the open road in my favorite pair of Sauconys! I plan to write more entries on running and exercise in general, but I thought I would start with this entry inspired by a fantastic 9-miler I enjoyed yesterday.  
    If you ever dive into the amazing world of running, one of the most important things to consider is how you're going to fuel your body before, during, and after a run.  The following advice is based on my own experience (I've been into long distance running for about 2 1/2 years now) and should be customized based on your own preferences and experiences.  For the purpose of this blog, I define a "long distance" run as one that lasts longer than an hour or is at least 6 miles - of course, this is an extremely contextually-based definition :-)
   Before a run:   It's extremely important to give your body some fuel to start your run - in this case, you want a balance of complex carbs, healthy fat, and protein.  This combo is going to keep your blood sugar steady while providing your muscles with a steady stream of nutrients.  My recommendation is a slice of Ezekiel bread with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and a few sips of water (Ezekiel bread is the cleanest choice, but you can sub whole grain/whole wheat as well.)  It's important to eat about 30-45 minutes before your run so that you have some time to digest. Another good choice is oats. I'd steer clear of dairy or eggs though - save them for your post-run meal.
   During a run:  For runs in the one hour range, you don't really need to take in calories while running - the exception is in extreme heat.  If you're planning to run for more than an hour, you should think about what you'll eat and drink during the run.  Unless it's hot outside, I don't need anything until I get into the 90 minute running range, but everyone is different.  Consider carrying water or a low-sugar sports drink to stay hydrated; I always found sports drinks to be too concentrated so I diluted them with half water.  I carry mine in a fuel belt but others prefer handheld bottles.  At this stage of the run, your body craves quick carbs and sugar to keep moving.  Many runners swear by energy gels like Gu, Clif Shots, or PowerBar, but I couldn't stomach the sweetness or the texture. I found that energy chews worked best for me: I'd recommend Sharkies (Organic!), PowerBar Energy Blasts, JellyBelly Sports Beans, or HoneyStinger Natural (Organic!).  I'd chew one after about 7 miles, then one every 15-20 minutes after that or as needed.
   After a run:  When you finish your run, it's really important that you refuel your muscles even if you're not hungry. Otherwise, you're going to end up sore and fatigued.  If you can't imagine eating a balanced meal within 30-45 minutes of finishing, the next best thing is a protein shake - ready to drink like EAS Carb Control or homemade (I like 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/4 cup water,  and 1 scoop of GNC Vanilla Whey Isolate blended with a handful of ice cubes).  No matter what you prefer, you've got to be mindful to replace the carbs and protein your muscles burned.  So, drink your shake as soon as you get back (no more than 45 minutes later), and try to eat a balanced meal within an hour after that (you will be hungry by then!). 
   As I said, all of my advice is based on my own experience, but I hope it provides some helpful ideas!

Stay fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment