Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Easy Homemade Hummus



Here's a recipe that meets the criteria of being both FIT and FRUGAL! When I looked at hummus in the grocery store, I was surprised at how expensive it is. So, I decided to make my own - saving money while only using exactly the ingredients I wanted. Not to mention, it's super easy to make!

While the initial cost of the tahini ($6 for 16 oz) was high, I'll be able to use it for many batches of hummus as well as other recipes.  The amount I used in the recipe costs about 38 cents.You can get chickpeas on sale for 75 cents a can (maybe less), and the small amounts of the other ingredients makes the cost negligible for them.  So, if I add in a few cents for the olive oil, this recipe costs about $1.25 to make (versus $4.50 for one of the leading brand name versions) or about 9 cents a serving. 

Chickpeas are full of fiber, which helps to keep you feeling full longer.  They also have a high amount of protein that, in combination with a healthy fat like olive oil, creates a well-balanced snack. 

This version yields hummus that is less creamy and tangy than store bought, which is how I prefer it. You can always add more lemon juice and some of the juice from the can of chickpeas to make it more creamy.

Homemade Hummus
Ingredients
1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) ~ approximately 1 3/4 cups
1 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T tahini
2-3 cloves of garlic
fresh ground pepper to taste
dash of fresh lemon juice

Directions
Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth!

Nutrition (makes about 14 2-tablespoon servings):
Calories: 58
Fat: 2.5g
Carbs: 7.4g
Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 1.9g

Stay fit and save money!

No comments:

Post a Comment