Monday, June 23, 2014

Dark Chocolate Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing

  While it's been quite some time since my last post, I hope to update this more frequently this summer as I try out new recipes. I'm also planning to try to make more from scratch and not rely so much on processed, pre-packaged foods. So, we will see where this culinary journey takes me!
This recipe was inspired by my cousin who is an outstanding baker! I made a few changes to her recipe to add some more nutrients and reduce the sugar.

Dark Chocolate Banana Cupcakes 


Ingredients
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c xylitol (or sugar, if you don't have it)
5 T unsalted butter
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 medium, ripe bananas - mashed
1/4 c spelt flour
3/4 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2/3 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350.  Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add vanilla and bananas and mix.  Combine dry ingredients; add dry ingredients alternately with milk until combined. Pour into 12 cupcake papers. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Nutrition Info (based on 11 servings - yes, I only got 11 out of this)
Calories: 135
Carbs: 12g
Fiber: 1.8 g
Sugar: 6.5 g
Protein: 1.8 g

Peanut Butter Icing
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1/8 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 t vanilla
2 1/2 - 3 c powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients until smooth. Let's not even go there with the nutrition facts on the icing...

All things in moderation - stay healthy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment