Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Carrot Cake Makeover

So, this weekend I had the urge to bake something.  But, as is typical of me, I couldn't just follow a recipe I found - I had to find a way to make it healthier.  Sometimes, however, this has backfired on me, and I've wound up trashing my latest creation.  This time the product was great! The recipe has no oil and low sugar; it also incorporates fiber-rich, whole wheat flour and omega-3 rich ground flax. And, did you know that both cinnamon and ginger are thermogenic herbs that improve metabolism?? Hope you enjoy my made-over, low sugar, carrot cake!

Low Sugar Carrot Cake
Ingredients
3 eggs (mine were fresh, organic, and free range from The Veggie Stand
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.25 cups unbleached, all-purpose white flour**
.75 cup whole wheat flour
.75 cup white/light brown sugar (I packed brown in the bottom half and filled to full with white)
2 tsp baking powder
.25 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
.25 tsp cloves
.25 tsp nutmeg 
.5 tsp ginger 
3 cups finely shredded carrots
.25 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
 Pre-heat your oven to 350.  Mix the eggs, applesauce, and vanilla together.  In a separate bowl, whisk together both flours, sugar, ground flax, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.  Once everything is well blended, stir in carrots and walnuts by hand.  Spray pans with non-stick cooking spray before baking.  Baking times will vary depending on what you make: cupcakes = 18-22 minutes; cake = 38-45 minutes.  A toothpick inserted near the center will come out clean when the cake is ready.

Yield
This recipe made about 24 cupcakes.

Nutrition 
 Calories: 95
Total Fat: 1.7g
Total Carb: 15.7g
Fiber: 1.7g
Sugar: 10g
Protein 2.5g

Stay Fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment